1. An Opportunity for clubs to Join in the Olympic Spirit
With Rugby 7’s due to be one of the next summer Olympic sports in 2016, the organisers of the London 2012 Olympic Games, through an initiative called Join In Local Sport, are calling on rugby clubs around the country to open its doors to the local community on the weekend of 18th & 19th August .
Join In Local Sport will encourage the nation to head down to where it starts for every great champion – their local sports club. The aim of Join In is for every sports club in the UK to put on a special event or activity on the Join In Weekend – capturing the enthusiasm for sport that the Olympic Games will generate.
Join In Local Sport is managed and run by the non-profit organisation, The Join In Trust Limited. Funded by government grant, they are also endorsed by the Sports Councils and National Governing Bodies of sport, as well as many local and regional sporting organisations.
With the Join in weekend taking place just one week after the closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games and just before the Paralympic Games starts, never will the focus on sport in this country be greater, a great opportunity for your clubs to show just what Rugby can offer people in their communities.
So why not
• open up yourclubs to encourage people to come down and try 7’s or Touch Rugby;
• or simply invite the wider community in to come and have a look and what your club can offer them as a playing or social member
The activity is completely optional and should be viewed as an opportunity for clubs. There is no expectation from the RFU for clubs to sign up however.
What clubs will receive by way of support
Whilst there is no central RFU support for clubs available for this particular activity, the team at Join In are committed to supporting clubs in the following ways:
1. Joint Promotion – Participating clubs will be listed in any advertising or local PR activity run by the team at Join in and are happy to work with clubs to promoted event in the clubs local area.
2. Uploading existing events to Join In – all planned events will be listed on the Join In website split by region
3. Promotion and Marketing support for RFU Clubs - The Join In team will provide PR and marketing support for RFU clubs signed up for Join In, delivered through national , regional based PR and marketing support.
To find out more about what available to your clubs go to www.joininuk.org
If you would like to sign up please email me and Alastair Marks (email@example.com) no later than Wednesday 11th July with:
o The club name
o Club Contact details for activity
o A short overview of the planned activity
o The Venue where the event will take place
o Full postal address
o Number of people that are likely to/you hope to attend